Learning in 100 words

Define learning in 100 words or less.

Initially I thought this would be easy; just think of this as a dictionary definition. Something along the lines of “the acquisition of new knowledge and skills”. That seemed to easy. A little too easy. How could something that seems so complex be summed up in just a few words?

A quick Google search came up with the following:

“the acquisition of knowledge or skills through study, experience, or being taught.”

It was the end of the definition that interested me more…

• What is meant by ‘study’? What should this look like? 
  • What makes for a ‘good’ or ‘quality’ learning experience?
  • How do we make the shift from learning something to it being learnt?

All interesting questions worthy of further exploration and discussion but given it’s the first week back at school for the year, there’s mountains of other work to be done at the moment….

I’m looking forward to reading the posts of others on the subject and perhaps revisiting this in the future.

This post is the fifth in a series as part of the #youredustory challenge. For more information visit their website.

2 thoughts on “Learning in 100 words

1. PonderingDan

So I guess that you could say that to define learning really only generates more questions than answers? I guess questioning is a major part of the learning process.

1. Mr Duncan Post author

Hi Dan – I’ve noticed that as I get older I seem to have more questions as I learn new things. I see this process as my brain trying to digest new information; to make sense of what it has absorbed and then wanting to know more.

I have also noticed that the questions I come up with aren’t always ones that always have ‘easy’ answers.

I also find that as I mull over these new questions in my mind, in blog posts and in discussions with others in my network that the question may change over time as I learn more and try to understand more; that perhaps my original question wasn’t perhaps the right question to be asking in the first place.

I was thinking of this in relation to Inquiry learning; about the need for a ‘big idea’ or ‘guiding question’ that leads the learner through discovering new ideas themselves.

So yes, I guess questions are a major part of my learning process.